from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To refuse to acknowledge or accept as one's own; repudiate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To refuse to own or to refuse to acknowledge one’s own.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To refuse to own or acknowledge as belonging to one's self; to disavow or deny, as connected with one's self personally
- transitive v. To refuse to acknowledge or allow; to deny.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To refuse to acknowledge as belonging or pertaining to one's self; deny the ownership of or responsibility for; not to own or acknowledge; repudiate.
- To deny; not to allow; refuse to admit.
- Specifically, in the Society of Friends, to remove from membership; dismiss.
- Synonyms To disavow, disclaim, disallow, renounce.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cast off
- v. prevent deliberately (as by making a will) from inheriting
dis- + own (Wiktionary)