from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The territory ruled by a duke or duchess; a dukedom.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dominion or region ruled by a duke or duchess.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The territory or dominions of a duke; a dukedom.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The territory or dominions of a duke; a dukedom. See duke, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the domain controlled by a duke or duchess
Middle English duchie, from Old French duche, from Medieval Latin ducātus, from Latin dux, duc-, leader; see duke.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English duche, from Anglo-Norman duché. (Wiktionary)