from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Careful to fulfill obligations.
- adj. Expressing or filled with a sense of obligation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Accepting of one's legal or moral obligations and willing to do them well, and without complaint.
- adj. Pertaining to one's duty; demonstrative of one's sense of duty.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Performing, or ready to perform, the duties required by one who has the right to claim submission, obedience, or deference; submissive to natural or legal superiors; obedient, as to parents or superiors
- adj. Controlled by, proceeding from, a sense of duty; respectful; deferential.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Performing the duties required by social or legal obligations; obedient; submissive to natural or legal superiors; obediently respectful: as, a dutiful son or daughter; a dutiful ward or servant; a dutiful subject.
- Expressive of a sense of duty; showing compliant respect; required by duty: as, dutiful attentions.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. willingly obedient out of a sense of duty and respect
duty + -ful (Wiktionary)