from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A serious situation or occurrence that happens unexpectedly and demands immediate action.
- n. A condition of urgent need for action or assistance: a state of emergency.
- adj. For use during emergencies: emergency food rations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A situation such as a natural or man-made disaster requiring urgent assistance.
- n. The department of a hospital that treats emergencies.
- n. The quality of being emergent; sudden or unexpected appearance; an unforeseen occurrence.
- adj. Related to the emergency or to the provision of assistance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Sudden or unexpected appearance; an unforeseen occurrence; a sudden occasion.
- n. An unforeseen occurrence or combination of circumstances which calls for immediate action or remedy; pressing necessity; exigency.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as emergence, 1.
- n. A sudden or unexpected happening; an unforeseen occurrence or condition; specifically, a perplexing contingency or complication of circumstances.
- n. A sudden or unexpected occasion for action; exigency; pressing necessity.
- n. Something not calculated upon; an unexpected gain; a casual profit.
- n. Synonyms Crisis, etc. (see exigency); pinch, strait.
- Pertaining to or provided for an emergency; dealing with or for use in emergencies: as, an emergency man; an emergency wagon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state in which martial law applies
- n. a brake operated by hand; usually operates by mechanical linkage
- n. a sudden unforeseen crisis (usually involving danger) that requires immediate action
Sorry, no etymologies found.