from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lasting, used, serving, or enjoyed for a limited time.
- n. Informal One that serves for a limited time: an office staffed by temporaries.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. For a limited time, ephemeral, not constant; transient
- n. One serving for a limited time; short-term employee.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Lasting for a time only; existing or continuing for a limited time; not permanent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lasting for a time only; existing or continuing for a limited time; not permanent.
- Contemporary; of the period.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a worker (especially in an office) hired on a temporary basis
- adj. lacking continuity or regularity
- adj. not permanent; not lasting
Latin temporārius, from tempus, tempor-, time.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin temporarius, from tempus ("time") (Wiktionary)