from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A position of great distinction or superiority: rose to eminence as a surgeon.
- n. A rise of ground; a hill.
- n. A person of high station or great achievements.
- n. Roman Catholic Church Used with His or Your as a title and form of address for a cardinal.
- n. A projection or protuberance from the surface of a body part, especially a bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. someone of high rank, reputation or social station
- n. the quality or state of being eminent
- n. prominence in a particular order or accumulation; esteem
- n. an elevated land area or a hill
- n. a protuberance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which is eminent or lofty; a high ground or place; a height.
- n. An elevated condition among men; a place or station above men in general, either in rank, office, or celebrity; social or moral loftiness; high rank; distinction; preferment.
- n. A title of honor, especially applied to a cardinal in the Roman Catholic Church.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A part rising or projecting beyond the rest or above the surface; something protuberant or prominent; a projection: as, the eminences on or in an animal body. See phrases below, and eminentia.
- n. Specifically A conspicuous place or situation; a prominent position; especially, a hill or height of ground affording a wide view.
- n. Elevation as regards rank, worth, accomplishment, etc.; exalted station or repute; more generally, a high degree of distinction in any respect, good or bad: as, to attain eminence in a profession, or in the annals of crime.
- n. Supreme degree.
- n. In the Roman Catholic Church, a title of honor attached by a consistorial decree of 1630 exclusively to cardinals and to the master of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem: usually with a capital.
- n. Synonyms Height, elevation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a protuberance on a bone especially for attachment of a muscle or ligament
- n. high status importance owing to marked superiority
From the Latin ēminēntia ("prominence”, “protuberance”; “eminence”, “excellence"). (Wiktionary)