from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A broad flight of steps leading down to the bank of a river in India, used especially by bathers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A descending path or stairway to a river; a ford or landing-place.
- n. A mountain range.
- n. A mountain pass.
- n. A burning-ghat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pass through a mountain.
- n. A range of mountains.
- n. Stairs descending to a river; a landing place; a wharf.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In India, a pass of descent from a mountain; a mountain-pass; hence, a range or chain of hills or mountains.
- n. In India, a path of descent, landing-place, or stairway to a river, generally having at the summit a temple, pagoda, or place of rest and recreation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. stairway in India leading down to a landing on the water
Hindi ghāt, from Sanskrit ghaṭṭaḥ, probably of Dravidian origin; akin to Telugu kaṭṭu, gaṭṭu, dam, embankment.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hindi घाट (ghāṭ, "pier"), from Sanskrit घट्ट (ghaṭṭa, "a landing place, steps on the side of a river leading to the waters"), probably of Dravidian origin; akin to Telugu కట్ట (kaṭṭa, "dam, embankment"). (Wiktionary)