from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flight or series of flights of steps and a supporting structure connecting separate levels. Also called stairway.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a flight of stairs; a stairway
- n. a connected set of flights of stairs; a stairwell
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flight of stairs with their supporting framework, casing, balusters, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The part of a building which contains the stairs: also often used for stairs or flight of stairs. Staircases are straight or winding. The straight are technically called fliers or direct fliers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a way of access (upward and downward) consisting of a set of steps
stair + case (Wiktionary)