from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who is trained and skilled in gymnastics, especially one who engages in competition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who performs gymnastics
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who teaches or practices gymnastic exercises; the manager of a gymnasium; an athlete.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is skilled in athletic exercises; one who is expert in or is a teacher of gymnastics.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an athlete who is skilled in gymnastics
French gymnaste, from Greek gumnastēs, trainer of professional athletes, from gumnazein, to exercise; see gymnasium.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek γυμναστής (gumnastēs, "trainer of athletes"), from γυμνάζω (gumnazō, "I train naked, exercise"), from γυμνός (gumnos, "naked") (Wiktionary)