from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A handle of a tool, such as an ax, chisel, or hammer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The handle or haft of a tool or weapon.
- v. To furnish (an axe, etc.) with a helve.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The handle of an ax, hatchet, or adze.
- n. The lever at the end of which is the hammer head, in a forge hammer.
- n. A forge hammer which is lifted by a cam acting on the helve between the fulcrum and the head.
- transitive v. To furnish with a helve, as an ax.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The handle of an ax, adz, or hatchet.
- n. The shank of a forge-hammer or trip-hammer: also used for the whole hammer.
- To furnish with a helve or handle, as an ax.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the handle of a weapon or tool
Middle English, from Old English hielfe.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English helfe. (Wiktionary)