from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An action or a suit brought before a court, as to recover a right or redress a grievance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In civil law, a case where two or more people disagree and one or more of the parties take the case to a court for resolution.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An action at law; a suit in equity or admiralty; any legal proceeding before a court for the enforcement of a claim.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A suit at law or in equity; an action or a proceeding in a civil court; a process in law instituted by one party to compel another to do him justice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a comprehensive term for any proceeding in a court of law whereby an individual seeks a legal remedy
law + suit (Wiktionary)