from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A master in an art, especially a composer, conductor, or music teacher.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A master in some art, especially a composer or conductor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A master in any art, especially in music; a composer or orchestra conductor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A master; specifically, an eminent musical composer, teacher, or conductor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an artist of consummate skill
Italian, from Latin magister, magistr-, master; see meg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian, from Latin magister, magistr-, master. (Wiktionary)