from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical A pointed metal spike, used to separate strands of rope or wire in splicing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tool, consisting of a pointed metal spike, used to manipulate the strands of rope or cable when splicing
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a pointed iron implement used to separate the strands of rope in splicing, and as a lever in putting on seizings, etc. Also written marlinspike and marlingspike.
- n. A jäger, a species of Stercorarius: so called (by sailors) from the long pointed middle tail-feathers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pointed iron hand tool that is used to separate strands of a rope or cable (as in splicing)
Sorry, no etymologies found.