from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by carelessness; sloppy or slovenly. See Synonyms at sloppy.
- adj. Slovenly in appearance; shabby or seedy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Done poorly or too quickly; slapdash.
- adj. Wearing slippers or similarly open shoes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Wearing shoes or slippers down at the heel.
- adj. Figuratively: Careless in dress, manners, style, etc.; slovenly; shuffling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Wearing shoes or slippers down at the heel or having no counters, so that the sole trails after the foot.
- Hence Appearing like one in slippers; careless or slovenly in appearance, manners, actions, and the like; loose; slovenly; shuffling: as, a slipshod style of writing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by great carelessness
slip + shod ("wearing shoes"), originally "wearing slippers", "slovenly" is from early 19th century. (Wiktionary)