from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An emperor of Japan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A former title of the emperors of Japan during a certain period.
- n. Any emperor of Japan.
- n. A game of skill, in which identical wooden sticks must be removed from a pile without disturbing the remaining sticks
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The popular designation of the hereditary sovereign of Japan; the emperor of Japan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Emperor of Japan, sometimes erroneously spoken of as the spiritual emperor. See shogun.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the emperor of Japan; when regarded as a religious leader the emperor is called tenno
Japanese : mi-, honorific pref. + kado, gate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Japanese, from (mi) "honorable" + (kado) "gate, portal" (Wiktionary)