from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Used formerly as a title for the hereditary monarch of Iran.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A king of Persia.
- n. A supreme ruler in some Middle Eastern or South Asian nations.
- n. An Ukrainian monetary unit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A former title of the supreme ruler in certain Eastern countries, especially Persia and Iran.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the Persian language, the ruler of a land, as either sovereign or vassal. The monarch of Persia (usually called the Shah by English writers) is designated by the compound appellation of padishah.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. title for the former hereditary monarch of Iran
Persian shāh, king, from Old Persian khshāyathiya-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Persian شاه (šāh), from Middle Persian 𐭱𐭠𐭤 (šāh), from Old Persian 𐏋 (xšāyaθiya). (Wiktionary)