from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A commandment of the Jewish law.
- n. The fulfillment of such a commandment.
- n. A worthy deed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the 613 commandments of Jewish law
- n. An act of kindness
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Judaism) a good deed performed out of religious duty
- n. (Judaism) a precept or commandment of the Jewish law
Hebrew miṣwâ, from ṣiwwâ, to command; see ṣwy1 in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Hebrew מצווה, commandment (Wiktionary)