from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or fact of being an owner.
- n. Legal right to the possession of a thing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of having complete legal control of the status of something.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being an owner; the right to own; exclusive right of possession; legal or just claim or title; proprietorship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being an owner; the right by which a thing belongs specifically to some person or body; proprietorship; possession as an owner or proprietor. See owner.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the relation of an owner to the thing possessed; possession with the right to transfer possession to others
- n. the state or fact of being an owner
- n. the act of having and controlling property
owner + -ship (Wiktionary)