from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Variant of phony.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. 1900 Fraudulent; fake; having a misleading appearance.
- n. A person who assumes an identity or quality other than their own.
- n. A person who professes beliefs or opinions that they do not hold.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. imitating something superior; intended to deceive; fraudulent; having a misleading appearance; not genuine; counterfeit; fake.
- adj. pretending to be other than one is; putting on false appearances; insincere; hypocritical; -- of people.
- n. something or someone that is phony.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives
- adj. fraudulent; having a misleading appearance
Perhaps an alteration of fawney “gilt brass ring used by swindlers” (1781), from Irish fáinne “ring.” (Wiktionary)