from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Inflammation of the pleura, usually occurring as a complication of a disease such as pneumonia, accompanied by accumulation of fluid in the pleural cavity, chills, fever, and painful breathing and coughing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Inflammation of lung pleura.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An inflammation of the pleura, usually accompanied with fever, pain, difficult respiration, and cough, and with exudation into the pleural cavity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Inflammation of the pleura.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. inflammation of the pleura of the lungs (especially the parietal layer)
Middle English pluresy, from Old French pleuresie, from Late Latin pleurīsis, alteration of Latin pleurītis, from Greek : pleura, side + -ītis, -itis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)