from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a speech sound produced by complete closure of the oral passage and subsequent release accompanied by a burst of air, as in the sound (p) in pit or (d) in dog.
- n. A plosive speech sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Sound produced from opening a previously closed oral passage; for example, when pronouncing the sound /p/ in "pug".
- adj. Produced in this way.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a consonant produced by stopping the flow of air at some point and suddenly releasing it
From explosive.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)