from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. With great care or delicacy; cautiously.
- adj. Cautious; careful.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Gently; in a delicate or cautious manner.
- adj. Ginger.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Cautiously; timidly; fastidiously; daintily.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Softly; delicately; cautiously; mincingly; daintily: used especially with reference to manner of walking or handling.
- Cautious; mincing; dainty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. with extreme care or delicacy
- adv. in a gingerly manner
Possibly alteration of obsolete French gensor, delicate, from Old French, comparative of gent, gentle; see gent1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
(1510) Maybe from Old French gensor, comparative of gent ("nice, kind, pretty"), from Latin gentius ("well-born") (Wiktionary)