from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lacking self-confidence; shy.
- adj. Fearful and hesitant: problems that call for bold, not timid, responses.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Lacking in courage or confidence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Wanting courage to meet danger; easily frightened; timorous; not bold; fearful; shy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fearful; easily alarmed; timorous; shy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lacking self-confidence
- adj. showing fear and lack of confidence
- adj. lacking conviction or boldness or courage
- n. people who are fearful and cautious
Latin timidus, from timēre, to fear.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French timide, from Latin timidus ("full of fear, fearful, timid"), from timeo ("I fear"). (Wiktionary)