from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by assurance, as of success.
- adj. Marked by confidence in oneself; self-assured. See Synonyms at sure.
- adj. Very bold; presumptuous.
- adj. Obsolete Confiding; trustful.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. very sure of something; positive
- adj. self-confident
- n. Obsolete form of confidant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See confidant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having strong belief; fully assured.
- Confiding; not entertaining suspicion or distrust.
- Relying on one's self; full of assurance; bold; sometimes, overbold.
- Giving occasion for confidence.
- n. A confidant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or marked by confidence or assurance
- adj. persuaded of; very sure
- adj. not liable to error in judgment or action
Latin cōnfīdēns, cōnfīdent-, present participle of cōnfīdere, to rely on; see confide.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin confidens ("confident, i.e. self-confident, in good or bad sense, bold, daring, audacious, impudent"), present participle of confidere ("to trust fully, confide"); see confide. (Wiktionary)