from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Nearest; proximate.
- adj. Anatomy Nearer to a point of reference such as an origin, a point of attachment, or the midline of the body: the proximal end of a bone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Closer to the point of attachment or observation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Toward or nearest, as to a body, or center of motion of dependence; proximate.
- adj. Situated near the point of attachment or origin.
- adj. Of or pertaining to that which is proximal. Opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Proximate; nearest; next.
- n. In zoology, the comparatively fixed or basal extremity of a limb or of an organism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. situated nearest to point of attachment or origin
From Latin proximus, nearest; see proximate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin proximus, superlative form of prope ("near, nigh"). (Wiktionary)