from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of relying or the state of being reliant.
- n. The faith, confidence, or trust felt by one who relies; dependence. See Synonyms at trust.
- n. One relied on; a mainstay.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of relying on someone or something; trust.
- n. The condition of being reliant or dependent.
- n. A person or thing which relies on another.
- n. Anything on which to rely; ground of trust.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of relying, or the condition or quality of being reliant; dependence; confidence; trust; repose of mind upon what is deemed sufficient support or authority.
- n. Anything on which to rely; dependence; ground of trust.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of relying, or the state or character of being reliant; confident rest for support; confidence; dependence: as, we may have perfect reliance on the promises of God; to have reliance on the testimony of witnesses.
- n. Anything on which to rely; sure dependence: ground of trust.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. certainty based on past experience
- n. the state of relying on something
From rely + -ance (Wiktionary)