from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Acting or tending to retard. Often used in combination: flame-retardant pajamas for children; a fire-retardant security chest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Serving to retard (slow down) the action of something
- n. Something that serves to retard (slow down) the action of something
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Retarding; tending to delay or impede motion, growth, or progress.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any agent that retards or delays or hinders
Sorry, no etymologies found.