from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An organism, especially a fungus or bacterium, that grows on and derives its nourishment from dead or decaying organic matter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any organism that lives on dead organic matter, as certain fungi and bacteria.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any plant growing on decayed animal or vegetable matter, as most fungi and some flowering plants with no green color, as the Indian pipe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a plant that grows on decaying vegetable matter, as many species of fungi, the Indian-pipe, etc. Also called humus-plant. See hysterophyte and Fungi.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an organism that feeds on dead organic matter especially a fungus or bacterium
sapro- (“putrid matter”) + -phyte (“plant, growth”) (Wiktionary)