from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Geology Porous cinderlike fragments of dark lava. Also called cinders, slag.
- n. Metallurgy The refuse of a smelted metal or ore; slag. Also called cinder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The recrement of metals in fusion, or the slag rejected after the reduction of metallic ores; dross.
- n. Cellular slaggy lava; volcanic cinders.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Dross; cinder; slag: a word of rather variable and indefinite meaning, generally used in the plural, and with reference to volcanic rocks. See scoriaceous.
- n. A genus of geometrid moths, containing such as the black-veined moth, S. dealbata.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the scum formed by oxidation at the surface of molten metals
Middle English, dross, from Latin scōria, from Greek skōriā, from skōr, excrement, dung; see sker-3 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin scōria, from Ancient Greek σκωρία, from σκῶρ ("dung"). (Wiktionary)