from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The skin of a sheep either tanned with the fleece left on or in the form of leather or parchment.
- n. Informal A diploma.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The skin of a sheep, especially when used to make parchment or in bookbinding
- n. A diploma
- n. The tanned skin of a sheep with the fleece left on, especially when used for clothing, rugs etc
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The skin of a sheep; or, leather prepared from it.
- n. A diploma; -- so called because usually written or printed on parchment prepared from the skin of the sheep.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The skin of a sheep; especially, such a skin dressed or preserved with the wool on, and used as a garment in many parts of Europe, as by peasants, shepherds, etc.
- n. Leather made from the skin of a sheep. See sheep, 2.
- n. A diploma, deed, or the like engrossed on parchment prepared from the skin of the sheep.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a document certifying the successful completion of a course of study
- n. tanned skin of a sheep with the fleece left on; used for clothing
- n. skin of a sheep or goat prepared for writing on
sheep + skin (Wiktionary)