from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A coin formerly used in Britain and worth six pennies.
- n. The sum of six pennies.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A former coin worth six old pence; a tanner.
- n. The value of six old pence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An English silver coin of the value of six pennies; half a shilling, or about twelve cents.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An English silver coin of the value of six pence (about 12 cents); half of a shilling.
- n. The value of six pence, or half a shilling; a slight value: sometimes used attributively.
- n. In the United States, especially in New York, while the coin was in circulation, a Spanish half-real, of the value of 6¼ cents.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small coin of the United Kingdom worth six pennies; not minted since 1970
six + pence (Wiktionary)