from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. British money, especially the pound as the basic monetary unit of the United Kingdom.
- n. British coinage of silver or gold, having as a standard of fineness 0.500 for silver and 0.91666 for gold.
- n. Sterling silver.
- n. Articles, such as tableware, made of sterling silver.
- adj. Consisting of or relating to sterling or British money.
- adj. Made of sterling silver: a sterling teaspoon.
- adj. Of the highest quality: a person of sterling character.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the currency of the United Kingdom; especially the pound
- n. former British gold or silver coinage of a standard fineness: for gold 0.91666 and for silver 0.925.
- n. sterling silver, or articles made from this material
- n. A structure of pilings that protects the piers of a bridge; a starling.
- adj. of, or relating to British currency, or the former British coinage
- adj. of, relating to, or made from sterling silver
- adj. high quality
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as starling, 3.
- n. Any English coin of standard value; coined money.
- n. A certain standard of quality or value for money.
- adj. Belonging to, or relating to, the standard British money of account, or the British coinage
- adj. Genuine; pure; of excellent quality; conforming to the highest standard; of full value.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete form of starling.
- n. A silver coin struck by English (and Scottish) kings from the time of Richard I. (1190).
- n. English money.
- Of fixed or standard national value; conforming to the national standard of value: said of English money, and, by extension, of the precious metals: as, a pound sterling; a shilling sterling. Abbreviated ster., stg.
- Of acknowledged worth or influence; authoritative.
- Genuine; true; pure; hence, of great value or excellence.
- n. See starling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. British money; especially the pound sterling as the basic monetary unit of the UK
- adj. highest in quality
Middle English, silver penny : possibly sterre, star; see star + -ling, diminutive suff. (from the small star stamped on the coin); see -ling1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)