from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The forming of words with letters in an accepted order; orthography.
- n. The art or study of orthography.
- n. The way in which a word is spelled.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of spell.
- n. The act, practice, ability, or subject of forming words with letters, or of reading the letters of words; orthography.
- n. The manner of spelling of words; correct spelling.
- n. A specific spelling of a word.
- n. A spelling test or spelling bee.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of one who spells; formation of words by letters; orthography.
- adj. Of or pertaining to spelling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A story; a relation; a tale.
- n. The act of one who spells; the manner of forming words with letters; or thography.
- n. A collocation of letters representing a word; a written word as spelled in a particular way.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. forming words with letters according to the principles underlying accepted usage
1400s, from spell (verb) + -ing. (Wiktionary)