from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A female demon supposed to descend upon and have sexual intercourse with a man while he sleeps.
- n. An evil spirit; a demon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A female demon which comes to men, especially monks, in their dreams to seduce them and have sexual intercourse, drawing energy from the men to sustain themselves, often until the point of exhaustion or death.
- n. A strumpet, whore or prostitute.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A demon or fiend; especially, a lascivious spirit supposed to have sexual intercourse with the men by night; a succuba. Cf. incubus.
- n. The nightmare. See Nightmare, 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A demon fabled to have sexual intercourse with human beings in their sleep.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a female demon believed to have sexual intercourse with sleeping men
Middle English, from Medieval Latin, alteration (influenced by Late Latin incubus, incubus) of Latin succuba, paramour, from succubāre, to lie under : sub-, sub- + cubāre, to lie down.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Alteration in Middle English of Late Latin succuba ("strumpet, especially a mythological fiend in female form who has intercourse with men in their sleep"), from succubare ("to lie under"), from sub- ("under") + cubare ("to lie down"), from Proto-Indo-European *keu(b) (“to bend, to turn”). (Wiktionary)