from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A prince, chieftain, or governor, especially in the Middle East.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a prince, commander or other leader or ruler in an Islamic nation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An Arabian military commander, independent chieftain, or ruler of a province; also, an honorary title given to the descendants of Mohammed, in the line of his daughter Fatima; among the Turks, likewise, a title of dignity, given to certain high officials.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Among Arabs and other Mohammedan peoples. a chief of a family or tribe; a ruling prince. See ameer.
- n. Specifically, a title sometimes given to the descendants of Mohammed.
- n. In Turkey, with a specific designation of office or duty, a head of a department of government; a chief officer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an independent ruler or chieftain (especially in Africa or Arabia)
French émir, from Arabic 'amīr, commander, prince, from 'amara, to command; see אmr in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Arabic أَمِير (amīr), commander, prince. (Wiktionary)