from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A crest or knot of hair or feathers on the crown of the head.
- n. A decorative ribbon or bow worn as a headdress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a decorative knot of hair on the crown of the head, sometimes having ribbons or feathers
- n. a decorative headdress
- n. A crest or knot of feathers upon the head or top, as of a bird.
- n. A small European flounder (Rhoumbus punctatus or allied species).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A crest or knot of feathers upon the head or top, as of a bird; also, an ornamental knot worn on top of the head, as by women.
- n. A small Europen flounder (Rhoumbus punctatus). The name is also applied to allied species.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any knot, tuft, or crest worn or growing on the head: applied to any egret, crest, or tuft of feathers on the head of a bird, the hair on the top of the human head, any projecting or conspicuous ornament for the head, etc.; specifically, a bow, as of ribbon, forming a part of the head-dress of women in the seventeenth century.
- n. A flatfish, Phrynorhombus unimaculatus, or Bloch's topknot, and some related species: so called from a long filament on the head.
- n. One of any of the breeds of domestic hens which have a crest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. headdress consisting of a decorative ribbon or bow worn in the hair
- n. showy crest or knot of hair or feathers
top + knot (Wiktionary)