from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. The inhabitants or citizens of a town or city.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of townsman and townswoman. The population or inhabitants of a village, town or city
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The inhabitants of a town or city, especially in distinction from country people; townsfolk.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The inhabitants, collectively, of a town or city; townsfolk, especially in distinction from country folk or the rural population.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the people living in a municipality smaller than a city
Sorry, no etymologies found.