from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small piece of hand luggage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A piece of hand luggage such as a suitcase or travelling bag.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small sack or case, usually of leather, but sometimes of other material, for containing the clothes, toilet articles, etc., of a traveler; a traveling bag; a portmanteau.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A receptacle for travelers' use for clothes and articles of toilet.
- n. Milit., a cylindrical portmanteau of leather, about 18 inches long, placed on the saddle of each off horse of an artillery-carriage, and containing the. smaller articles of the driver's personal equipment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small overnight bag for short trips
French, from Italian valigia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French, akin to Medieval Latin valisia. (Wiktionary)