from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fastening device consisting of parallel rows of metal, plastic, or nylon teeth on adjacent edges of an opening that are interlocked by a sliding tab.
- transitive v. To fasten or unfasten or become fastened or unfastened with a zipper; zip.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A zip fastener.
- n. A pressure-sensitive plastic closure.
- n. leucine zipper
- v. To close a zipper.
- v. To put a zipper on an article.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. close with a zipper
- n. a fastener for locking together two toothed edges by means of a sliding tab
Originally a trademark.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
1925, to zip + -er. The trade name was registered in 1925 by B.F. Goodrich for “boots made of rubber and fabric,” claiming use of the name since June 1923. No longer a registered trademark. (Wiktionary)