from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of northern Belgium on the Scheldt River north of Brussels. One of Europe's busiest ports, it has been a center of the diamond industry since the 15th century. The first stock exchange was founded here in 1460. Population: 466,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A province of Flanders, Belgium.
- proper n. The capital city of the province of Antwerp.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name of a city in Belgium, used to distinguish a breed of domesticated pigeons having a large, massive head and short, stout beak with a small wattle at the base.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a busy port and financial center in northern Belgium on the Scheldt river; it has long been a center for the diamond industry and the first stock exchange was opened there in 1460
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But it is silent in Antwerp, Brussels and Leuven, as in The Hague, Amsterdam and Utrecht.
MILAN (AP) U.S. rider Christian Vande Velde was slated to undergo surgery on his injured shoulder in Antwerp on Tuesday after crashing in the Giro d'Italia.
A group of scientists have been growing diamonds, not to try to pawn off in Antwerp or anything, but rather to coat electrodes, and ultimately use them to clean up sewage.
A group of scientists have been growing diamonds, not to try to pawn off in Antwerp or anything, but rather to coat electrodes, and ultimately ...
Daring to break into the famous World Diamond Center in Antwerp - where more than half of the world's diamonds are traded - the group made out with $100 million in jewels and other loot.
After marrying, the couple fled across Europe, holing up first in Antwerp, then London, then (this is where, for me, the story, for so long so fruity, gains the stamp of dreary authenticity) Hull and finally Belfast.
We will continue production in Antwerp until the end of this year.
FRANKFURT — General Motors Co. 's Adam Opel GmbH division on Monday confirmed that its Belgian plant in Antwerp will be closed at the end of the year as part of its comprehensive turnaround plan after no suitable buyer was found.
The other websites mentions additionally “that Ashley and Xavier will host an introduction to the Twilight Night in Antwerp and will appear on the red carpet.”
Thanks to Frederik van Heereveld from FEEK, a Belgian design studio, for sending us these photos of the FEEK Oisterbar that recently opened in Antwerp, Belgium.