from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Malta or its people, language, or culture.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Malta.
- n. The Semitic language of the people of Malta.
- n. Any of a breed of toy dogs having a long silky white coat.
- n. A Maltese cat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The inhabitants of Malta.
- n. An inhabitant or a resident of Malta.
- proper n. The Semitic language of Malta.
- adj. Of or pertaining to Malta or its language.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Malta or to its inhabitants.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to Malta, an island in the Mediterranean, formerly belonging to the Knights Hospitalers or Knights of Malta (1530–1798), afterward to France, and since 1800 to Great Britain, or to the group of islands of which it is the chief.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of the island of Malta.
- n. The language spoken by the natives of Malta. Its chief element is a corrupt form of Arabic mixed with Italian.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a term applied indiscriminately in the United States to any short-haired bluish-grey cat
- n. breed of toy dogs having a long straight silky white coat
- adj. of or relating to the island or republic of Malta or its inhabitants
- n. a native or inhabitant of Malta
- n. the national language of the Republic of Malta; a Semitic language derived from Arabic but with many loan words from Italian, Spanish, and Norman-French
The Foreign Ministry statement decried what it called the Maltese government's "persistent unwillingess" to take the migrants "despite appeals by from European Commission President"
Since Maltese is an official EU language, many EU documents have to be translated into Maltese.
And as always, Fabrizio Maltese is shooting great pix.
A friend of mine, Anna Maltese, is an expert fire dancer.
Michael Maltese is the best cartoon gag writer, ever.
Maltese is the official language, but both Maltese and English are taught in the schools.
He was educated at the Lyceum and the University of Malta where he first obtained his Bachelor of Arts Degree in English, Maltese and History and later on his Law Degree.
Slide 10: Adult Education • We have a system of Evening classes offering courses in English, Maltese, Numeracy, ICT, other languages, Crafts etc. ...
This is the front page of the Europa website in Maltese.
The Maltese is a slow starter when it comes to taking regular walks, and physically needs to build up to a walking schedule and routine.