from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of arriving.
- n. One that arrives or has arrived.
- n. The reaching of a goal or objective as a result of effort or a process: our ultimate arrival at a compromise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act of arriving or something that has arrived
- n. the attainment of an objective, especially as a result of effort
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of arriving, or coming; the act of reaching a place from a distance, whether by water (as in its original sense) or by land.
- n. The attainment or reaching of any object, by effort, or in natural course.
- n. The person or thing arriving or which has arrived.
- n. An approach.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of arriving, as in coming to land or to the end of a journey; a reaching or coming to a destination, or some definite place.
- n. The person or thing which arrives: as, a long list of arrivals.
- n. The reaching or attainment of any object or state by effort, or in natural course: as, arrival at a just conclusion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of arriving at a certain place
- n. someone who arrives (or has arrived)
- n. accomplishment of an objective
Just at dusk on November 1 we reach Caquixtle de Arriba and our arrival is a great success.
Planning on spending that night at an airport hotel, just because your arrival is at 4: 30 p.m. and the dark of night loometh, is ridiculous.
coined the term "arrival city" in response to what he felt was a semantic lack.
For successful web brands like TMZ and Funny or Die, the ultimate sign of arrival is running cable's rigorous selection process to gain a long-form slot on the dial - still the gold standard in the world of entertainment.
The point of departure and arrival is the conciliar Constitution on the Liturgy, Sacrosanctum Concilium.
I'd heard fieldfares in a tall hedge making that strange conspiratorial hissing call to each other and, as their arrival from the north is such a signature event for autumn proper, I thought I'd wander over and pay my respects.
But uncertain arrival time for rain makes planning difficult.
This new store´s arrival is liking having your old Aunt Maude come to town and sitting there on your sofa in your mom´s living room and smoking cagarettes and refusing to leave and you wonder why she just doesn´t go back to Atlanta but she never will now will she? tashby
So far the only new seasonal arrival is the rather unpleasent common grackle ….
Buffalo Bills: WR Terrell Owens 'arrival is the highlight.