from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sufficient space for a ship to maneuver; sea room: kept a clear berth of the reefs.
- n. A space for a ship to dock or anchor: a steamship moored to its berth at the pier.
- n. Employment on a ship: sought an officer's berth in the merchant marine.
- n. A job: a comfortable berth as head of the department.
- n. A built-in bed or bunk, as on a ship or a train.
- n. A place to sleep or stay; accommodations: found a berth in a nearby hotel.
- n. A space where a vehicle can be parked, as for loading.
- transitive v. To bring (a ship) to a berth.
- transitive v. To provide with a berth.
- intransitive v. To come to a berth; dock.
- idiom a wide berth Ample space or distance to avoid an unwanted consequence: gave their angry colleague a wide berth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fixed bunk for sleeping in (caravans, trains, etc).
- n. Room for maneuvering or safety. (Often used in the phrase a wide berth.)
- n. A space for a ship to moor or a vehicle to park.
- n. A job or position, especially on a ship.
- n. Position or seed in a tournament bracket.
- n. position on the field of play
- v. to bring (a ship or vehicle) into its berth
- v. to assign a berth (bunk or position) to
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Convenient sea room.
- n. A room in which a number of the officers or ship's company mess and reside.
- n. The place where a ship lies when she is at anchor, or at a wharf.
- n. An allotted place; an appointment; situation or employment.
- n. A place in a ship to sleep in; a long box or shelf on the side of a cabin or stateroom, or of a railway car, for sleeping in.
- transitive v. To give an anchorage to, or a place to lie at; to place in a berth.
- transitive v. To allot or furnish berths to, on shipboard.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An obsolete spelling of birth.
- n. Nautical: Sea-room; space kept or to be kept for safety or convenience between a vessel under sail and other vessels or the shore, rocks, etc.: especially in the phrases, also used figuratively, to give a good, clear, or wide berth to, keep a wide berth of (to keep clear of, keep well away from).
- n. Room for a vessel to turn around or to ride at anchor.
- n. A station in which a ship lies or can lie, whether at anchor or at a wharf.
- n. A room or an apartment in a ship where a number of officers or men mess and reside.
- n. The shelf-like space allotted to a passenger in a vessel (and hence in a railroad sleeping-car) as a sleeping-place; a sailor's bunk on board ship; a place for a hammock, or a repository for chests.
- n. A post or an appointment; situation; employment: as, he has got a good berth at last.
- Nautical: To assign or allot anchoring-ground to; give space to lie in, as a ship in a dock.
- To allot a berth or berths to: as, to berth a ship's company.
- To board; cover with boards: chiefly in ship-building.
- To find a berth for; provide with a “job” or “situation.”
- To occupy as living-quarters on shipboard: used with in.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bed on a ship or train; usually in tiers
- n. a job in an organization
- v. secure in or as if in a berth or dock
- v. come into or dock at a wharf
- n. a place where a craft can be made fast
- v. provide with a berth
Kisla earned his title berth with a 3-1 upset of Canon-McMillan's Sam Brownlee, who is ranked No. 1 in Class AAA in the WPIAL.
The other big early test for the title berth comes during the Texas State Fair and the annual clash between Texas and Oklahoma in Dallas.
But getting a label berth enabled Mr. Arthur to get his foot in the door, even if he's still trying to get into the Big Room.
The Warriors earned their title berth with a narrow 27-20 win against Franklin Regional (9-3).
The Buccaneers earned their title berth with a 50-14 win against Kittanning (10-5).
Hempfield earned its title berth with a 40-31 win against Albert Gallatin (4-3).
The Blue Devils earned their title berth with a convincing 59-13 win against Keystone Oaks (4-2).
The Bearcats earned their title berth with a 50-28 semifinal win against Yough.
West Shamokin earned its title berth with victories against Leechburg (25-4, 25-10, 25-11),
The Panthers posted a 6-2 victory against No. 8 Moon in the quarterfinals, then earned a title berth with a convincing 14-2 win against No. 4 seed Belle Vernon Area in the semifinals.