from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A seashore picnic where clams, fish, corn, and other foods are traditionally baked on heated stones covered with seaweed.
- n. Informal A party or gathering, especially a noisy and lively one.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An informal beach party in which food, usually seafood, is cooked in a pit dug in the sand, filled with hot coals.
- n. An instance of smoking (usually marijuana) in an enclosed space.
- adj. Informal, makeshift, sloppy.
- v. To smoke marijuana in an enclosed space such as a car with the windows up.
- v. To enclose something and fill it with smoke by smoking (usually marijuana) inside it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The backing or steaming of clams on heated stones, between layers of seaweed; hence, a picnic party, gathered on such an occasion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A repast consisting chiefly of clams baked in a hole in the ground on a layer of stones previously heated, the hole being covered with seaweed, etc., during the process, usually as an accompaniment of a picnic at the sea-shore; hence, a picnic of which such a repast is the principal feature.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a cookout at the seashore where clams and fish and other foods are cooked--usually on heated stones covered with seaweed
This clambake was a pleasant ‘just in time for the weekend’ surprise.
You know how it seems odd to some folks that people enjoy listening to “common people talking” aka your clambake?
Instead of just any old lobster clambake, consider having a super deluxe lobster clambake, which is sure to please a variety of tastes.
In place of any old lobster clambake, consider having a super deluxe lobster clambake, which is sure to please a variety of tastes.
Among the more popular celebrities that show up for the "clambake" is Rush Limbaugh, who is obviously in his element at the PGA.
(The clambake was my idea, but the dog, of course, was Miss Julia's.
Seems one of the organizers of the Marine Corps Marathon, which will take place in Washington the morning after the Comedy Central star's clambake, told the New York Times they had been approached by the organizers of Stewart's rally about sharing the portable toilets each event is required to provide as one of the conditions of securing permits to stage the events.
The clambake, called appanaug, is a celebration to honor tribal elders and the changing of seasons.
Just like the all the land we proudly call America, settlers stole the whole clambake idea from Native Americans, specifically the Wampanoag people of southeastern Massachusetts.
And while Seattle is a great restaurant town, when I really want to impress out-of-town guests, I just take them to Pike Place Market, pick up a pile of whatever the fish man says is best, and cook up a clambake of sorts on my own stove.