from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A union of persons, parties, or states; a league.
- n. The persons, parties, or states joined in such a union.
- n. The Confederate States of America.
- n. A group of people who have united for unlawful practices; a conspiracy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an alliance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A league or compact between two or more persons, bodies of men, or states, for mutual support or common action; alliance.
- n. The persons, bodies, states, or nations united by a league; a confederation.
- n. A combination of two or more persons to commit an unlawful act, or to do a lawful act by unlawful means. See Conspiracy.
- n. With the, the Confederate States of America.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A contract between two or more persons, bodies of men, or states, for mutual support or joint action of any kind; a compact, league, or alliance.
- n. An aggregation of persons, parties, states, or nations united by a league; a confederation.
- n. In law, a combination of two or more persons to commit an unlawful act; a conspiracy.
- n. Confederated action; coöperation; concurrence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the southern states that seceded from the United States in 1861
- n. a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act
- n. a union of political organizations
- n. a group of conspirators banded together to achieve some harmful or illegal purpose
I always find it funny that Republicans are the first to scream how unpatriotism people are, and yet supporting the confederacy is the most unpatriotic thing you can do.
To black people (myself being one) – the confederacy is akin to nazi germany.
That flag and the confederacy is a sign of racism and pro-slavery.
This in-between structure is called a confederacy, and it is something that was tried and which failed in North America on two occasions, most recently in 1865.
Any attempt to seperate slavery and confederacy is folly.
While wiping all mention of the confederacy from the books is slightly overboard, proclaiming the confederacy as a point of pride is appropriate, after all do we have "Happy English Colony" history month?
Again were they driven and scattered by our forces upon the land, and it was but as yesterday that the flower of their army surrendered; and now, powerless and stricken, the Southern confederacy is cursed of God and forsaken by man.
He waited and thought and toiled, until war had educated the great leaders and the veteran host that have, within the last two years, swept the armed confederacy from the earth.
The manifesto which declares that a southern confederacy is now alone possible is signed by representatives of
The judges made their commitment very strict: They charged the jailer to keep them safely, and have a very watchful eye upon them, as if they were dangerous men, that either would venture to break prison themselves or were in confederacy with those that would attempt to rescue them.