from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Given to contention; quarrelsome. See Synonyms at argumentative, belligerent.
- adj. Involving or likely to cause contention; controversial: "a central and contentious element of the book” ( Tim W. Ferguson).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Marked by heated arguments or controversy.
- adj. Given to struggling with others out of jealousy or discord.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Fond of contention; given to angry debate; provoking dispute or contention; quarrelsome.
- adj. Relating to contention or strife; involving or characterized by contention.
- adj. Contested; litigated; litigious; having power to decide controversy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Apt to contend; given to angry debate; quarrelsome; perverse; litigious.
- Relating to or characterized by contention or strife; involving contention or debate.
- In law, relating to causes between contending parties.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. inclined or showing an inclination to dispute or disagree, even to engage in law suits
- adj. involving or likely to cause controversy
However, he also studies what he calls contentious (eristikos) or sophistical arguments: these he defines as arguments which only apparently establish their conclusions.
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Democrats splinter in contentious health care reform debate « - Blogs from CNN. com
I also like the possibility of the DRL keeping a huge parking lot out of that certain contentious Big Box development down on Eastern Ave. Comment by Yukon
Democrats splinter in contentious health care reform debate
Within archaeology, Mr. Binford was known as a contentious advocate for his ideas.
SMU Within archaeology, Mr. Binford was known as a contentious advocate for his ideas.
The reason The Path has been so contentious is because it isn't particularly pleasant to play; it deals with some pretty uncomfortable issues, and there isn't much of a game mechanic as such.
The race to succeed Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) was contentious from the start.
There are plenty of reasons why recording a phone call might be useful, ranging from having an exact record of what was said in contentious battles with a service provider through to making notes on work projects afterwards (a common plight for journalists).
As we call a contentious era in European history the Hundred Years 'War, so our war in "the Greater Middle East" has already gone on for 30 years, give or take a few.