from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large, clumsy, flightless bird (Raphus cucullatus), formerly of the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean, that has been extinct since the late 17th century.
- n. Informal One who is out-of-date, as in dress or ideas.
- n. Informal A stupid person; an idiot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large, flightless bird, Raphus cucullatus, related to the pigeon, that is now extinct (since the 1600s) and was native to Mauritius.
- n. A person or organisation which is very old or has very old-fashioned views or is not willing to change and adapt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large, extinct bird (Didus ineptus), formerly inhabiting the Island of Mauritius. It had short, half-fledged wings, like those of the ostrich, and a short neck and legs; -- called also dronte. It was related to the pigeons.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A recently extinct bird of Mauritius, Didus ineptus, the type of the family Dididæ and suborder Didi, now usually assigned to the order Columbæ.
- n. [This is the earliest known English mention of the bird.]
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone whose style is out of fashion
- n. extinct heavy flightless bird of Mauritius related to pigeons
This previously unpublished drawing of a dodo is an important and interesting addition to the known images of this iconic extinct bird.
Anyway, back to the dodos, the dodo is the “star” of the article about extinct birds at Wikipedia and the Coat of arms of Mauritius has a dodo!
He keeps six lovers, a time-travelling pet dodo from the past and a constantly inebriated brain.
Sad dodo is too sad, better keep only on the 3 previous emotions.
Anyway, the dodo is cute and I wanted to share it.
Update: as you can see, the dodo is back with images, finally!
The dodo is the tragic symbol of bird extermination.
March 26th, 2007 at 5: 11 am dodo is an exticnt animal. .i wish to hab more information about the exticnt … … … … … … …
The same learned authority suggests that dodo is a corruption of Dodaars, but, as will presently be seen, we herein think him mistaken.
Blue dodo from the removed article Is Blu-ray going the way of the dodo bird? from Home Media Magazine.