from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The largest of the anthropoid apes (Gorilla gorilla) native to the forests of equatorial Africa, having a stocky body and coarse, dark brown or black hair.
- n. Slang A brutish man.
- n. Slang A thug.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The largest of the apes, native to the forests of central Africa, and known for its trait of knuckle-walking
- n. A big and brutish man or a thug; a goon or ruffian.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large, arboreal, anthropoid ape of West Africa. It is larger than a man, and is remarkable for its massive skeleton and powerful muscles, which give it enormous strength. In some respects its anatomy, more than that of any other ape, except the chimpanzee, resembles that of man.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The largest known anthropoid ape, Troglodytes gorilla, of the family Simiidæ, suborder Anthropoidea, and order Primates, most closely resembling man, especially in the form of the pelvis and in the proportion of the molar teeth to the incisors.
- n. [capitalized] A genus of Simiidæ, having the gorilla, Gorilla gina or G. savagei, as type and only species.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. largest anthropoid ape; terrestrial and vegetarian; of forests of central west Africa
From a purely realistic scientific view, it turns out the gorilla is a poor choice for a monster; better would be the more violent chimpanzee.
"Dat is what you call gorilla warfare," said Von Baumser, with a proud consciousness of having mastered an English idiom.
NASA, that bureaucratic 800-lb gorilla, is struggling under a very specific series of mandates called the VSE.
The guilt gorilla is cordially invited to bugger off.
Instead of doing the book justice, we get almost no graphically violent gorilla scenes, and actors in gorilla suits pale in comparison to CGI effects in other movies like “Jurassic Park.”
They began the number dressed in gorilla suits, which seemed to distract from the footwork.
I may feel like I was a lazy slacker today (because as we all know, my guilt gorilla is a 900-pounder) but I actually wrote 930 words of Shadow Unit content, which maybe means I should cut myself some slack on that front.
The trip was only two days, but spending two days in a rather small zeppelin with a gorilla is not easy.
But the little gorilla is now going from strength to strength with a little help from her friends, including her Steiff soft toy.
‘ "The most common type of gorilla is now" critically endangered, "one step away from global extinction, according to the 2007 Red List of Threatened Species released Wednesday by the World Conservation Union."’