from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A thug hired to intimidate or harm opponents.
- n. Slang A stupid or oafish person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thug; a usually muscular henchman with little intelligence (also known as a 'hired goon').
- n. A fool; someone considered silly, stupid, awkward, or outlandish.
- n. An enforcer or fighter.
- n. A wine flagon or cask.
- n. Cheap or inferior cask wine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an awkward stupid person
- n. an aggressive and violent young criminal
The BMC calendar is legal -- even without Ford's blessing -- and when you protect yourself from legal liability by shutting it down, you incur PR liability by seeming like a bunch of candy-asses who can be bullied into submission by a memo from some white-shoe legal goon from a Fortune 100.
So it is extremely likely that Alice the Goon did influence the now standard meaning of the word goon, but E.C. Segar did not coin the word itself, as it was around for more than a decade before Alice the Goon came into the picture.
Milligan is said to have picked the word goon out of a Popeye comic and started using it as derogatory term for people he saw as idiots.
Another tuneless goon is going to be eliminated from X Factor tomorrow – but who?
Just think, this goon is just now starting his career in the Senate and even though he has one of the worst approval ratings the idjits here in Oklahoma will vote him back into office purely because he is Southern Baptist and knows how to talk to the rubes in this state.
Crank up the volume and get ready to call the goon squad.
That a goon is a goon has to do with their humanness, not their politics.
Nancy is like, yeah, well, your goon is a blood stain and I think Guillermo his peoples is to blame.
I've always wanted to be a henchman, so signing up to be a goon was an easy decision.
Also the lack of the so-called goon is refreshing.