from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Suited or right for a particular purpose: an opportune place to make camp.
- adj. Occurring at a fitting or advantageous time: an opportune arrival.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Suitable for some particular purpose.
- adj. At a convenient or advantageous time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Convenient; ready; hence, seasonable; timely.
- transitive v. To suit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Seasonable; timely; well-timed; convenient.
- Conveniently exposed; liable; open.
- To suit; accommodate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. suitable or at a time that is suitable or advantageous especially for a particular purpose
And sure enough, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, acknowledging that Zelaya's gambit has indeed changed the terms of the debate, issued a statement saying that the time was "opportune" to restore Zelaya to the presidency.
Not much of a stargazer, myself, as that type of "opportune" brillance can be blinding.
He thinks it so; otherwise, He would not have revealed His Trinitarian Nature until a more 'opportune' time.
Programme (UNDP) to familiarise more than 100 incoming MPs on parliamentary conduct, was "opportune", the state-owned Herald noted in its Monday edition.
As soon as we got near enough to lend a hand the Turks resigned themselves with a kind of opportune fatalism.
That I regarded it as "opportune," not "_à un moment donné_," but in principle and in time of peace is correct.
Chou said that he would definitely go public if he was seeing someone, though he would choose the most 'opportune' time to do so.
Aside from those "opportune" moments when far-edge or off-screen characters or objects are making sounds, the mix remains focused in the center channel with the two directional music stems used to provide some spread and presence to the score.
Gas row 'opportune' for Russia to put pressure on Belarus - Lukashenko
The gas dispute with Belarus was "opportune" for Russia to put political pressure on